Date:      Fri, 05 Nov 2010 01:32:11 -0400
From:      Jon Radel <jon@radel.com>
To:        kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATTN GARY KLINE

This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

--------------ms080506090704050902040306

On 11/5/10 12:22 AM, kline wrote:

> i''m using evo to be able to click on.  i have fewer ``Fail'' type
> has been 9.5 years since I read DNS AND BIND, the jargon  is lost.  Wha=
> does "glue" means? and how should I resolve?
>
> It is time to  get this stuff arrow-straight, so hoping that someone
> on-list can clue me in.
>

> tx,
>

> gary
>
> http://www.dnscog.com/report/thought.org/1288928790
If your parents, the nameservers authoritative for .org, tell the world=20
that one of the nameservers for thought.org is ns1.thought.org, they=20
also have to tell the world what the IP address for ns1.thought.org is=20
using an A record.  That A record is glue.  Otherwise you get a machine=20
conversation something like:

Resolving nameserver trying to find a record in the thought.org zone=20
(RN):  Please Mr. root server, I'd like to know about www.thought.org....=

Root:  See the .org folks over there....
RN:  Please Mr. top-level dude, about that www.thought.org....
Org: Well, see ns1.thought.org....
RN:  Ahem, I'm trying to find out basic stuff about thought.org and I=20
don't know the address for ns1.thought.org in order to ask it
Org:  Well, ask ns1.thought.org what the address for ns1.thought.org is..=
=2E
RN:  But, but, but....followed by petulant stomping off

Glue A records fix that problem.

BTW, the fact that a glue record isn't returned for ns2.everydns.net in=20
response to a query about NS records for thought.org really isn't a=20
problem; note the "info" rather than "fail" from DNSCog.

Biggest problem I still see is that ns2.everydns.net refuses to respond=20
to queries about thought.org.  You sure your account there is still=20
active and functional and that you're allowing zone transfers to them? =20
I note that you don't allow transfers from arbitrary addresses, and=20
http://www.everydns.com/faq/secondary-domain/example-setup does warn=20
that the source address for transfer requests was/will/did change.

Some of the problems reported by DNSCog appear to be bogus.  They've got =

some bugs related to cases where a nameserver has a name in the domain=20
in question.  (And also some bugs related to nameservers which are=20
reachable by both ipv4 and ipv6, but that doesn't apply to you.)

--=20

--Jon Radel
jon@radel.com

--------------ms080506090704050902040306--