Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:37:34 +0000
From:      Maikel Verheijen <Maikel.Verheijen@redwood.com>
To:        Jim Harris <jim.harris@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nvd disk on nvme controller not detected at boot-time

Hi Jim,

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Maikel Verheijen <Maikel.Verheijen@redwood=
.com<mailto:Maikel.Verheijen@redwood.com>> wrote:
Hi Jim,

<snip>
I'm currently running FreeBSD 10.0 with updates from freebsd-update. Would =
FreeBSD 10.1-RC be safe for a production environment or would it be better =
to wait until the real release? The machine is not used for production yet,=
 but we do want to go live with it in the near future. I currently use a =
=93workaround=94, I=92m not loading ZFS at boot time but use a custom RC sc=
ript to load the nvd module, test if the nvd0 disk is there, then load the =
ZFS module. That seems to work for now, but having it work =93out of the bo=
x=94 would be better, and a lot less prone to manual mistakes made by me :)
I cannot recommend whether 10.1-RC would be safe for a production environme=
nt, but you could certainly use 10.1-RC to at least confirm it fixes the is=
sues described.

You could also apply these two patches to your 10.0 kernel tree and rebuild=
 just nvme.ko.
Thank you for your quick reply. We=92ll test 10.1-rc, then wait for 10.1 re=
lease.  We prefer to use the freebsd-update tool to keep the system up to d=
ate rather than to build our own kernel.

Best regards,
-Jim

Best regards,
Maikel