Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 06:33:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!lightside.com!jehamby, ponds!lambert.org!terry
Cc:        ponds!freebsd.org!hackers
Subject:   Re: Barb problem, FOUND

> > From ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com Thu Mar 20 21:51:25 1997
> > Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 19:55:11 -0500 (EST)
> > From: Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
> > To: ponds!village.org!imp@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU,
>         ponds!lambert.org!terry@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
> > Subject: Re: Barb problem, FOUND
> > Cc: ponds!freebsd.org!hackers@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU,
>         ponds!wgold.demon.co.uk!james@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
>
> Wow, your mailer did SOMETHING funky to the return addresses (UUCP gremlins?)!
> :)

 Yes - the "funny" part is the @ucbvx.Berkeley.EDU - that machine
doesn't even exist anymore.  However; the example sendmail.cf scripts
for UUCP support reference it.  I'm guessing some intermediate hop
incorrectly did that rewrite.  I'd love to figure out just exactly
which one...

> >  Hey!  As manager of the SAS/C compilers I object to that :-) :-)
> > [We like to keep our skeletons in the closet, thank you.]
> >

> >  Of course; you likely mean the ooolllddd ones - not the spiffy new
> > ones we have now :-) :-)   We still use and actively maintain
> > those compilers - we just don't sell them to the public.  The SAS
> > system on PC, mainframe (370 - MVS and VMS), MAC (68K and PowerPC)
> > is built with compilers that owe their existence to that offering.
> > [We still 'maintain' the amiga compiler via updates on-the-net.  But,
> > you can't buy that one any more either.]
>
> Funny, I bought SAS/C 6.5 for Amiga a few years back, through the SAS book
> department.  Are you sure they've stopped selling it?  Don't know what I'm gonna
> do with it now, but it's nice to have around (the manuals are a great reference
> for libc stuff, at any rate).

 Yes - quite sure.  We continued to sell it from the book department
until we ran out of stock.  We ran out a few months ago.  We continue
to "support" it, albeit unofficially, via updates to that product.
[e.g. Some recent updates were done to add a builtin rotate function
for speeding up encryption/decryption.]

 We're considering a new C++ update to add templates - would that
be worthwhile?  If so, would you need automatic instantiation or
would explicit instantiation be adequate?

	- Dave Rivers -