Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 21:15:52 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, jasone@canonware.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beginning SPARC port

Dare I mention L**** too ?

> For the record, I doubt that adding support for the earlier SPARCs is
> going to be as trivial as everyone expects, and I don't expect Jason
> Evans' bosses to put too much effort into this either considering that
> the already-sold hardware is not very important to their bottom
> line. :)
[...]

Sun do re-sell sun4c and sun4m machines themselves (I guess it took them
a while to work out there was a 2nd hand market for some of the gear),
so there is some (if little) incentive to do it.

Oh, the SS5 (sun4m) was still on the pricelist around the middle of this
year...and I've not heard anyone say they're going to EOL it yet (if you've
got an E10000, the SS5's make a good console) either.

Darren

p.s. I don't think that adding sun4m will be any easier/harder than sun4u.
The hard part is going to be adding a non-x86 architecture to an OS which
appears very much to be machine-dependant.