Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2001 15:31:44 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Arun Sharma <arun@sharmas.dhs.org>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No wakeup after a long suspend ?

On Sunday 29 July 2001 00:41, Arun Sharma wrote:
> On my HP Omnibook 6000, -stable does just fine for short periods of
> suspend and wakeup.
>
> However, if I leave the laptop in the suspend state for a long period
> of time, it refuses to wakeup. The only way out is to power cycle
> the laptop.
>
> Any thoughts on what's wrong ?

I'm guessing here, but perhaps the suspend is a "suspend to memory" rather
than "suspend to disk."  In that case, the battery will last much longer
while suspended to memory than with the computer running since the disk,
display, peripherals, and even the CPU may be shut off, but it won't last
forever since the memory still has to have power to retain state.

Some apm's will wake up and convert a suspend-to-memory into suspend-to-disk,
but this may or may not work properly depending on your setup.  Other
computers won't do this.  If long-term suspends work under Windows but not
under FreeBSD then that's a pretty likely scenario.

Other computers just don't support long-term suspend-to-memory, and would
fail just as badly under Windows.

When you reboot after the suspend failure is you battery drained?  (Or mostly
drained, since once the computer shuts off the battery may recover slightly
on its own.)

--
Brian, the man from Babble-On . . . .   bts@babbleon.org