Date:      Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:14:27 GMT
From:      K-Wizzz <kwizzz@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/90065: System hangs if wireless card wasn't disabled before reboot

>Number:         90065
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       System hangs if wireless card wasn't disabled before reboot
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I am using the built-in iwi wireless device (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200) with iwi-firmware-2.4 on my Fujitsu-Siemens Lapop S7020.  On my other laptop, an older version of Fujitsu-Siemens S-class laptop, I am using an Orinoco Gold wireless card via PCMCIA (wi0)

If I was using the wireless device and shut down the system, the first thing I noticed was that one of the lights on my Orinoco card was still on.  When I restarted the system, everything worked fine.  Now when I am trying to bring up the wireless interface again (I am doing this via dhclient), the system simply hangs.  There are no log entries produced.  The system is dead and the only way to bring it back to life is to turn it off and restart.

The only way to solve this is to remove the card or disable the internal wireless before shutting down.  The same problem occurs with my other OSes on the disk; they are freezing if I am rebooting to Linux or Windows.  So I guess, FreeBSD leaves the card in a strange state.

Using ifconfig wi0 down before shutting down didn't help.

If you need more information, please contact me.
>How-To-Repeat:
Boot up FreeBSD, bring up your wireless device and shutdown or reboot.  Once rebooted, try bringing up the interface again.