Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 01:19:12 -0400
From:      "liquid" <liquid@homebass.ca>
To:        "'Ajax Munroe'" <ajaxmunroe@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD,Linux and any other os besides Microsoft.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-
> questions@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Ajax Munroe
> Sent: September 22, 2003 10:52 PM
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: FreeBSD,Linux and any other os besides Microsoft.
>=20
>       Hello,
*snipped*
>=20
> Your Friend;
>=20
> AJAX

Don't let familiarity blur your judgement.  FreeBSD's installation is
probably one of the easiest in the *nix world.  I've setup a few linux
machines, openbsd machines and freebsd machines so I've personally dealt
with them all.  I don't find it to be much more complicated than the
windows 2000 install at all.  The issue here is that you're so used to
the windows 2000 installation, and the way it goes about doing things
that anything else seems odd, and "wrong."  I know - I felt the same way
the first time I tried to install FreeBSD.  We're creatures of habit you
know.

All the other arguments brought forth by other list members I am
absolutely in agreement with.  User-friendliness comes at a price.

*mumbles something about RPC on Windows machines*

You said, " I made a bootable CD (the best I could, It's not as easy as
making a bootable windows CD) put the cd in my rom and found that BSD is
not for me. Look, Im not trying to put BSD down or anything, I would
love to have it on my computer fully working so that I could use
something other than Windows! Im by no means bored with Windows, I find
new and exciting things out with it all the time."

I sincerely doubt you'd make a statement like this not wanting to put
down FreeBSD right where you'll find its most loyal followers, but I
won't engage in that sort of argument - I don't like giving people that
satisfaction.  I'm confused about the statement regarding the ease of
making a bootable windows CD.  Quite honestly, I think you are too.
Legally you can't "make" a windows installation CD.  You have to buy
one.  Creating a disc from an iso (or bin/cue - for an illegal windows
disc) is a pretty brain-dead type of function.

Lastly, where's the fun in putting in a CD and walking away for coffee,
and having a system that works when you return?  Knowing how to do that
doesn't necessarily mean you are computer literate.  The beauty of
open-source is the fact that you feel this sense of accomplishment after
setting something up because it's more hands-on.  An analogy would be
the guy who buys a Ferrari, but has no idea about the internals - and
probably doesn't know how to drive it fast anyway Vs the guy who buys a
cheap little hatchback (say a golf) and modifies things here and there,
gets a "hands-on" feeling about it and turns it into a machine that can
do laps (likely) faster than someone who doesn't drive as well in a
Ferrari.  I prefer to be the latter of the two.  Others prefer the
approach of the former.

To each his own.