Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 1996 11:35:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS PCI SC-200 under -stable?

On Fri, 2 Feb 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:

> On Feb 1, 22:19, "Marc G. Fournier" wrote:
> } Subject: ASUS PCI SC-200 under -stable?
> }
> } Hi...
> }
> } 	I just picked up an ASUS PCI SC-200 SCSI controller and tried
> } to install it on a -stable kernel, and it failed to boot.
> }
> } 	The "BIOS" finds it, and the drives, and FreeBSD seems to find
> } it, or at least, it prints up what I expect it to in the boot phase.
> } It finds it at the right INT/IRQ, and puts it on 'pci0:11', all as I
> } expect.
>
> Which IRQ does it find ?
> Are you sure that IRQ has not been assigned to some
> ISA device ?

	I've tried both 9 and 12, with the same results.  Looking
through dmesg on a "good boot" (using an Adaptec 1542CF controller
instead), there is nothing listed as being at either of those IRQs:

	sio   @ 4 and 3
	lp    @ 7
	ether @ 10
	vt0   @ 1
	fd    @ 6

	And that's it, at least according to dmesg

> Could you please try booting the kernel up to the panic,
> and then boot some other kernel that is known to work.

	That kernel is actually known to work, but I don't have any
kernel that works with the PCI SCSI controller.  I'm running the exact
same kernel with the aha driver and ncr driver enabled.

> Check, whether the second kernel can get at the first
> one's message buffer (i.e. whether 'dmesg' still gets
> at the messages from the failed boot attempt ...)

	Assuming I understand what you mean here, I have tried this, and
it doesn't work.  dmesg only gets the "current bootup"

> Guess there is some hardware configuration proble,
> e.g. the card might be jumpered to use some PCI
> interrupt line other than IntA.

	Checked that too, even tried a different slot.  I did
a follow-up posting to current@/stable@ with a few more details, like
the fact that on a clean boot, my "PCI" devices come up as:

Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <SiS 85c496> rev 49 on pci0:5
vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 0 on pci0:15
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:

	If I install the NCR, I get chip0, then ncr0 on pci0:11, and
at that point, it panics.

	So, it is finding the ncr0 device, and even at the IRQ/INT that
I'm expecting it at, but its either failing at the SCSI probe part (where
it looks for the drives) or, if the probe for vga0 is before that (not
sure of ordering here), its failing to find the vga0 device.

	The vga0 device is an ATI Mach64 PCI w/ 4M VRAM...in case that
clicks something somewhere?

> Seems fine except for the fact, that there are quite
> a number of devices, that surely don't all fit into
> your system :)

	Was worried I might have missed something...

> And I now think, that one of them conflicts with the
> IRQ assigned to the NCR ...

	Any idea of which?  Again, it is finding my SCSI card, as is the
BIOS on bootup, it just seems to either be failing at the drive probe, or
at the vga0 probe...depending on which ordering is correct.

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc