Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 01:24:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: quick question

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
>
> > >From where I'm sitting, that seems to set discard to `u'....  ;)
>
> 	You're right but I forgot what someone said on the list as to
> set it to nothing at all since ^- sets it to - ;)

Are you _SURE_  ???    ;)

bash$ stty -a | grep discard
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
bash$ stty discard undef
bash$ stty -a | grep discard
cchars: discard = <undef>; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
bash$ echo Hmmm...  That did work....
Hmmm... That did work....
bash$ stty discard ^j
bash$ stty -a | grep discard
cchars: discard = ^J; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
bash$ stty discard ^-
bash$ stty -a | grep discard
cchars: discard = <undef>; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
bash$ echo 'I'\''d quote the manpage to you, but that would be mean! ;)'
I'd quote the manpage to you, but that would be mean! ;)
bash$ echo 'Also, I seem to remember saying something about `undef'\''...'
Also, I seem to remember saying something about `undef'...

> > For even more fun, try `stty discard def' and then try unsetting it
> > without switching vtys or logging out!  ;)   (It _can_ be done!  And no,
> > `reset' doesn't do it)
>
> 	Hmmm, there is only one way to unset it and I forgot what the word
> after stty discard was ;)

Well, the idea is that `stty discard def' will set your discard character
to `d', which makes it hard to type `stty discard def' since it's
impossible to type a `d'....  :)

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk