Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 2006 14:23:19 -0500
From:      Frank Laszlo <laszlof@vonostingroup.com>
To:        Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl>
Cc:        Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gtk lib rename.

Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 20:46:43 +0100 (CET)
>> marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) wrote:
>>
>>> I've been getting reports that gtk 1.2 libs were renamed from gtk12
>>> to gtk-12 ?
>>>
>>> This breaks both code and ports (like e.g. lang/fpc-devel).
>>>
>>> Could this be reverted please?
>>>
>> No; it has been done with reason and a lot of work, please see last
>> days mails.
>>

> Have searched, but only see the symptoms, not the announcement of the cause.
> Could you provide me with a subject to search on, or simply state the
> reasons and transition situation? (I had some users asking questions)

I also had trouble finding information regarding this, I contacted ade@
directly to get a not so dodgy answer. Here was his reply:

See the 20060223 entry in /usr/ports/UPDATING

<--snip-->

gtk uses libtool to build and name its libraries.  When al hl of
theorrendous FreeBSD-specific hacks were removed from libtool, the name
of a number of libraries changed from the hacked-up versions that were
used to prevent conflicts, to their actual, real names.

Notice the name of the gtk 1.2.x libraries on other systems, such as
Linux and NetBSD?

That's right:
    libgtk-1.2.*

The USE_GNOME= gtk12 macro (the canonical method of bringing in gtk12
support to a port) was updated accordingly, and the installed pkgconfig
files from gtk12 also were (automatically) changed to do the right
thing, as can be shown by the fact that both gtk12, and all ports that
depend on it which are not otherwise broken, have built on the package
building clusters which are gearing up for 5.5-RELEASE/6.1-RELEASE

The UPDATING message was very clear about the scope and ramifications of
this huge step forward to making FreeBSD behave in a identical manner to
other systems.

Regards,
    Frank