Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 22:13:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      Nicholas Brawn <ncb@zip.com.au>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: legal notice for telnet/etc

For the systems I'm looking at, the main entry points into the system will
be:
- Telnet
- FTP
- SSH
- SFTP/SCP

Telnet and Ftp banners look relatively simple to implement. But it looks a
bit tricky with ssh without displaying until the user has logged in.
Alternatively you could get them to sign a legal document prior to
granting them access to IT resources which discusses what authority they
have over what, which is already a recommendation. If it cannot be
displayed until a user logs in (/etc/motd), nobody's going to die. And if
you say they may be able to quell such notices via .hushlogin, we can add
something to /etc/profile to display notices, or even specify a program as
their shell which does nothing more than displaying the notice before
dropping them into a shell.

At this stage I'm keen to find out what simply solutions there are
available. If I need to tinker, so be it. :)

Thanks to everyone for the input,
Nick