Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 10:08:09 +0100
From:      John <freebsd-root@i-zone.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install from an iso9000 cdrom on a win95 machine to laptop via parallel cable

In article <Pine.OS2.3.95.980331061158.267A-100000@CENTRAL>, Andrew
MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au> writes
>You will also need to tell i-zonelap how to resolve the name i-zone.  I
>suggest just using the IP address, a la ???.???.???.???:/d
>
>If you want to try the FTP alternative, I seem to recall seeing a freely
>distributable W95 FTP server in the TUCOWS archive.

hmm - have tried this thus far the prob seems to be that plip doesn't
want to start after i've given it values..

*cdrom is my e drive on the ftp daemon*

Here is the scenario:

1. choose install media - ftp
2. choose site > user defined - set to ftp://158.152.227.78:/e

this being the (real) ip address of the win95 box I am trying to access.
Note that this is the fixed ip address given to me by my isp. This is a
dialup account.

now comes the hard part. The next screen is netconfig. What do I need to
put in host - domain - gateway - dns - ip address for lp0 interface and
subnet mask? does the interface refer to the laptop or the desktop?

I take it that I have to assign some arbritrary ip address like
192.0.0.1 to the laptop once I've convinced it that it is i-zonelaptop

If they are all left blank, plip attempts to run after I have chosen the
distributions but of course it cannot resolve the ip adress. If values
are entered, it just aborts ("you cannot use this method of
installation" or similar). I am entering the wrong values somewhere, I'm
sure. Isn't one of the addresses meant to be 'special' in this case (ie
loopback address or similar)

I suppose the other way is copying bin onto floppy then completing the
rest of the installation from there but AUAIK this is what is known
technically as "the hard way"

thanks

  John  - <freebsd-root@i-zone.demon.co.uk>