Date:      Tue, 04 Oct 2005 19:57:49 -0400
From:      Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba and/or cups problem with printing

--nextPart5532184.c3QhlbByAu

Hi,

(Please excuse my overly complicated message)

I just bought a usb laser printer (Lexmark E232). After some hours of diggi=
ng,=20
I ended up having it working with cups+foomatic under a Laserjet 4 driver i=
n=20
=46reeBSD. It works fine.

But, to further complicate things, I wanted my printer to be accessible by =
XP=20
users on the same workgroup so I added a share in samba :

[printers]
path =3D /var/spool/samba
use client driver =3D Yes
printable =3D yes
public =3D yes
guest ok =3D yes
writable =3D no

As user "Alpha"
I can see my share from XP so I tried to print a test page. Windows asks me=
=20
for the drivers, which I provide and my test page prints about 5-6 minutes=
=20
later and most complicated documents don't print.
Then I log in as user "Beta" and he sees the printer, can print instantly a=
nd=20
everything is fine. Yet user "Alpha" takes hours to print.

So I figured, let's make a second printer in cups to the same physical prin=
ter=20
and install the same drivers in XP, but this time in user "Beta". Not=20
surprisingly, that "new" printer in user "Beta" takes infinitly long to pri=
nt=20
but now user "Alpha" can print instantly using that printer.

Can anyone guess why or how to fix this behavior?

Thanks!
Nicolas.

=2D-
=46reeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Oct  1 11:51:38 EDT 2005    =20
root@clk01a:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLK01A=20
PGP? : http://www.clkroot.net/security/nb_root.asc