Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 21:46:24 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the Intel-UNIX standard

> Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > > I'm concerned about the SNR in hackers, but I just couldn't resist
> > > asking if someone was aware and acting on this
> > >       http://www.sco.com/udi/
> >
> > Yes, we're aware of it.  What is there to act on?
> >
> Mail the key actors and ask for a prerelease to work on it.

Not available at this time.  Such an action would only be worthwhile if
I (or the person making the request) had time to work on it either
personally or donated by another developer.  All of the requisite
documentation is already available online, so an implementation from
scratch would be relatively straightforward.

> > > It will be ported for Linux and distributed as freeware, as far as SCO
> > > knows...
> >
> > There is pressure for Intel to include a Linux implementation as part
> > of the deliverables for UDI.  As such, it may be contaminated by the
> > GPL.
>
> It WILL be ported, as an SCO announce says.

I don't have confirmation of the Linux port as part of the
deliverables.  This wouldn't be the first time that a press release was
retracted or contradicted in a later instance of reality.  Regardless,
the chances are high that it will indeed be done.

> A GPL is inconvenient because companies won't want to be forced to
> distribute source code of a key part with the OS. GPL was designed to
> live only with GPL and I don't think Compaq, IBM and SUN will accept it.
> We must start pressing for a BSD-like license here.
> OTOH the Open Group is already understanding ...

There's no need for the reference implementation to be GPL-contaminated
- it can be shipped as patches to the Linux kernel rather than
integrated with it, and those patches need not be GPL'ed.

Regardless, as I have tried to make clear before, a reference
implementation for Linux would not be something that could be "ported"
to FreeBSD.  A UDI implementation is a mapping from the host API to the
UDI API, and the mapping from Linux-kernel-API:UDI-API would look
nothing like the mapping from BSD-kernel-API:UDI-API.