Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 2004 01:49:49 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Discussion on the future of floppies in 5.x and 6.x

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 05:50:59PM +1030 I heard the voice of
Daniel O'Connor, and lo! it spake thus:

> I don't necessarily agree here - I think sysinstall is a better place because
> it's much much easier to write stuff for it than the loader. In the example
> you mention the only reason to use the loader is because the SCSI subsystem
> won't reprobe when a new SCSI bus comes online which sounds like a bug.

Indeed.  I think it's actually (specifically and as a class) the sort of
bug/feature that very much impacts on the floppy situation, since it
prevents us from using an otherwise open road to move stuff around.  Even
if we have to write some code in sysinstall or its successors to trigger
the rescan from userland (ie, the 'camcontrol rescan' point), I think
that's a reasonable road (and likely the easier way).  But that's a bit
out of my depth.

> > Well, except when mfsroot.gz becomes too large to fit on a single
> > floppy.  Right now it is about 90k away from that.  What happens when
> > mount_nfsv4 gets put on there?  John Baldwin and I already spat ent a
> > day over the holiday break making the mfsroot.gz image fit given the
> > new requirements created by having a dynamic root.
>
> However, given your example above, I would just put mount_nfsv4 on another
> floppy, although if sysinstall (or it's replacement) is too large, there will
> need to be the ability to load N floppy images into memory.

This is that situation where the "fetch installer program thingy from
install media on the fly" solution comes into play.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net