Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 21:02:28 +0100
From:      Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Performance issues; is something blocking?

I'm starting to build up a major headache. I think I've got a gremlin in my
system.

XMMS often jitters (opening a webpage, pulldown-menu etc.), as if it only
gets to transmit tiny pieces to the soundcard at a time. And I've tried
everything to boost performance. Buffers are at max, and with the
crossover-plugin I could observe that the buffer is always full. I've given
XMMS top priority (rtprio -0 pid). And I've even run it as root. Still no
decrease in the jitters, all the while the CPU sits idly by (it's rarely goes
above 10% according to gkrellm and top).

I've also fiddled arund with XFree86-4, installing GL etc. But the
performance are far from impressive. I've tested tuxracer and gltron. With
all the bells and whistles turned off I can only get 9-11 FPS
(HW-accelerated). And the strange part, it's the same whether I run it at
640x480 or 1600x1200 (both 16-bit). And this on a 800 MHz Duron.

Now the thought struck me that it might be X that had some faulty driver
that's hogging some bus'/irq's whatever. So I've removed drm, dri and matrox
mga-driver. I'm down running a plain vanilla X. XMMS still jitters.

So right now I'm at a loss. I have no clue to why my system behaves so
poorly. I've got this nagging feeling that *something*, either HW or SW, is
blocking somewhere. But I'm no guru and don't know where to look. Are there
some tool to test the system? Have I missed some kernel-option? Or do I just
demand to much of my system?

Bjarne
--
Homepage: http://www.mekanix.dk