Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 1997 08:14:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <bsampley@best.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSd.org
Subject:   installing / and /var only

Greetings,

I recently 'toasted' my primary HD while attempting to get both FBSD and a
"free" version of SCO (I know what you're all thinking, but don't flame
me, I just wanted to get some experience with SVR4) to cohabitate.  SCO
didn't want to stay within it's slice and made my /var slice unusable (and
SCO seems to be randomly hanging, oh well...).  My / (on the same HD) and
/usr (on the slave HD, BTW, the swap slice is also on the second HD) where
OK.  I was able to fsck both FS's (but it puked on /var).  I tar'ed my
entire /etc dir to the /usr FS.  I have just completed a 'low level'
format of my primary drive.

Here's the $64K question.  Can I install just / and /var, if so how?  I
was using 3.0-current with sources that are able to complete 'make world'
without puking (CVSUP'ed a few days ago).  I have the 3.0-current CD set
dated 5/28.

If I can't install just the / and /var FS's what's the best way to do the
install without destroying /usr on the 2nd HD (I have about 3 day's worth
of D/L'ed applications on that slice that I would prefer to not lose - I
D/L'ed them about 2 days before the 3.0-current CDs magically arrived
via subscription)?

Oh, BTW, I don't have backup.

Thanks in advance,

Burton Sampley