Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:31:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Announce: informal quirk maintainer

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-10-01 13:08, Nate Lawson <nate@root.org> wrote:
> > I will be taking ownership of quirk maintenance to help clarify and
> > expedite things.  The goal is to interoperate with as much hardware
> > as possible while keeping the table attributed and in
> > well-maintained order.
> >
> > Here are a few guidelines:
> > 3. Please follow the quirk submission guidelines to help things proceed
> > quickly:
> >          http://www.root.org/~nate/freebsd/quirks.html
> > 4. Please do not commit quirks directly.
> > 5. GNATS maintainers should assign quirk-related PRs to njl@
>
> I am unfamiliar with the notion of "quirks", but as long as you or
> anyone else takes precautions to avoid creating a bottleneck, in case
> you have to go away for extended periods of time, that's a fine thing.
> This is all, IMHO, of course.

Quirks are entries in CAM or the SCSI periph driver for devices which
cannot handle certain (legal) commands.  It the hardware returns an error,
we can recover without a quirk.  If the hardware hangs, a quirk is
needed.  The link above has more details on this if you're interested.

In this case, before they were sitting untouched in PRs or developers
would commit their own entries at will.  Now if they're untouched you have
someone to yell at and if developers commit away, someone will yell at
them.  ;-)

-Nate