Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 00:50:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, ron@dc.infi.net
Subject:   Re:Re: xemacs & emacs in version 2.1.6

Hello again!

I would like to make public the answer given to me by Ron Steele to fix
the problem with "emacs" and "xemacs" in FreeBSD 2.1.6.

Thanks Ron!

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:52:58 -0500
From: Ron Steele <ron@dc.infi.net>
To: Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
Subject: Re: xemacs & emacs in version 2.1.6

Eduardo Viruena Silva wrote:

> Hello there.

For emacs make a soft link (man ln for help) between libgcc.so.261.0 and
libc.so.<whatever version>

Xemacs that is in the packages is linked with Motif (libXm), which is a
commercial product.  Fortunately, you don't  have to buy Motif.  There
is
a free clone called lesstif that is in the incoming directory on
freebsd.cdrom.com.  You need to grab lesstif, pkg_add it and make a soft
link from libXm.so.2.0 to the lesstif library.  Works great.

Ron Steele

> I got my brand new FreeBSD ver 2.1.6  CD.
>
> I tried to install xemacs and it did not work because there is a
> library that is not present in my installation:
>
>                         libXm.so.2.0
>
> Then I tried to install emacs  --thinking that it would work-- but it
> also asked for a library that is not present in my installation:
>
>                         libgcc.so.261.0
>
> Where can I find these libraries or where can I find a functional
> version of emacs or xemacs ?
>
> Could you help me ?

              \/