Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:37:22 +0300
From:      Kirill Bezzubets <kirill@solaris.ru>
To:        "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New install on Dell -- Need help

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 12:04:15PM -0800, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

> errors: I'm getting no errors about the ACPI to my
> console anymore, since I applied the ACPI patch. The
> batteries are still a problem though.

Actually, it's well-known buggy DELL ACPI.

I had Latitude CP, Latitude CPi in the past and now CPx -
it's always the same - DSDT is absolutely incorrect.

But once DSDT is patched and put into boot sequence
(aka DSDT overriding) things work well - batteries,
temperature etc. Further patching needed to get
PCMCIA runtime eject and S3 aka Suspend working now on CPx.

PCMCIA patch should be simple but now I have no time to get it done.

Not sure about S3 - problem is that ATI Mobility M1 after
suspend doesn't direct output to LCD anymore, everything else
works fine - I can SSH on this box etc. Except LCD ;).

If you don't want to get into ACPI deep just take a look
at http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php -
it's a good source of patched DSDTs. Besides,
if you can't find your model try to use similar ones -
DELL doesn't change DSDT's for years - e.g, my CPx has DSDT
with system ID <DELL CPi R>.

Now how to put it into boot sequence:

# cat /boot/loader.conf

---skipped---
acpi_dsdt_load="YES"            # DSDT Overriding
acpi_dsdt_type="acpi_dsdt"      # Don't change this
acpi_dsdt_name="/boot/DSDT.aml"
---skipped---

Hope it will help you.