Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:41:24 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Dennis Logan <delogan1@nycap.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Dennis Logan (delogan1@nycap.rr.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>     Can i use this operating system instead of win98 on my pc?
>                 dennis

If you view your computer as an appliance, then probably not.

If you enjoy learning about somewhat technical subjects, don't want
to be completely abstracted from the computer, and are willing to spend
a little bit more time (but absolutely no money) learning how to use and
install free software, then operating systems like *BSD or Linux are
completely feasable home/small office desktop solutions.

Since most people use their computers for web browsing, writing/reading
email, and word processing, I can say with certainty that a FreeBSD
or Linux machine will compare quite favorably with a Win98/ME/NT/2000/XP
machine once you get it properly configured. Here are the major
'killer apps' in a BSD/Linux environment:

   Web browser: Mozilla, Netscape, Opera or Konqueror
   Email client: many, many available
   Office suite: Star Office (even reads/writes Word .docs)

You will undoubtedly find it a bit harder to install and configure a
FreeBSD system than buying a computer that runs Windows out-of-the-box.
But you will learn a lot more.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com