Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:40:02 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP Laserjet 1200 on USB

On Saturday 20 September 2003 4:51 am, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 01:42:56PM +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 11:30:32AM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> > > When I bought my Laserjet 1200SE about a year ago, FreeBSD wasn't
> > > capable of using its USB interface.  I see no indication that this has
> > > changed.  Is anybody working on this as a personal project?  Is there
> > > any general progress on it?
> >
> > On 4.8:
> >
> >     Sep 20 13:41:12 k7 /kernel: ugen0: HewLett Packard HP LaserJet 1200,
> > rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
>
> (with which I wanted to say: no change, still doesn't work)
>
> Edwin

1)
This is from a previous MFC of usb code (might wrap).

http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=543161+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-stable/20021117.freebsd-stable

Since you have ugen0 it wasn't commited/was reverted.

2)
What makes you think USB will be faster? The bottleneck is almost certainly
the print engine. esp. in graphics mode.

3)
Even if you use Linux you'll need specific kernel revisions or patches.See
hpoj (on sourceforge).

HTH

--
ian j hart

Quoth the raven, bite me!
	Salem Saberhagen (Episode LXXXI: The Phantom Menace)