Date:      Thu, 3 Nov 2011 21:37:40 -0700
From:      Jacob Minshall <gogowitz10@yahoo.com>
To:        freeBSD-questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   unable to find device node for /dev/asd0s4 in dev!

I have been attempting to install breeBSD 8.2 on my 160GB apple tv 1 =
hard drive. I made it so there was a blank space to partition 100GB. In =
the installer I clicked make slice on that empty space, used the auto =
partition sequence, then clicked all for files to install. After this =
happened I got the error message "Unable to find device node for /dev/.. =
in dev!". When I got back to my regular startup drive and looked at the =
apple TV drive(connected by a IDE to USB by the way) all other =
partitions were gone, and just a 100GB blank looking partition was left. =
I did the terminal command gpt -r show on the disk, and it still had the =
framework of all it's original partitions, but nothing in the 100GB left =
blank. After repeated attempts to install, even with trying the command =
to erase the entire drive and install freeBSD over it, it always gave me =
the same response. Then I decided to make a 100GB partition in my intel =
macbook pro to see if a freeBSD install there would work. It did now =
work either, which leads me to my current and main problem. Now my =
laptop does not start, I put in the install disk which shows that there =
is no macintosh HD like it showed there was no other drives on the apple =
tv disk. I have read online now that maybe I needed to add 35 blocks on =
either side to not return with that response, but that doesn't answer =
where my drive went and I don't quite understand how to do that. When I =
the 165(i think) partition for freeBSD that is the only one which shows =
up on disk utility partitioner.=