Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2012 10:15:38 -0600
From:      "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Compile Fail

On 12/25/12 10:09, Fabian Wenk wrote:
> Hello Joseph
>
> On 25.12.2012 15:32, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:
<snip>
>> 'make buildkernel kernconf=ALEX-LAPTOP'
>> 'make installkernel kernconf=ALEX-LAPTOP'
>
> I am not sure if 'kernconf=' will work too or if it needs to be in
> uppercase letters. Alternatively you could set the following line in
> /etc/make.conf:
> KERNCONF=ALEX-LAPTOP

I did not think of kernconf having to be in upper-case letters, though
that is how the handbook shows it (it never states that part has to be
caps like the kernel name).

> And then in /usr/src/ you only need to use 'make buildkernel' and 'make
> installkernel'.

That would be nice, I'll give it a go.

>> alex@alex-laptop#> cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf
>> alex@alex-laptop#> ls
>> ALEX-LAPTOP     DEFAULTS        GENERIC         GENERIC.hints   Makefile
>>          NOTES           XENHVM
>>
>> I'm not quite sure what to expect now.
>
> This looks correct. Did you also adjust the 'ident' line in your
> ALEX-LAPTOP file from GENERIC to ALEX-LAPTOP?

I'm certain I did, I can double-check though.

> I am not sure if the "-" in the kernel name will work. I do remember
> having problems building a kernel with a number in the name. But this
> was more then 10 years ago, but I still avoid it and do use only
> letters. So it is probably better to just use ALEXLAPTOP instead of
> ALEX-LAPTOP.

That name worked when I was running this laptop on i386 but I could
shorten it to without the hyphen. I was just trying to keep it like my
hostname (alex-laptop.localhost).

--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org