Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:17:47 +0100
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot install kernel as user

Hi,

my laptop is a very slow beast but this is the only computer I can
actually run -CURRENT on.  In order to parallelize task, when my laptop
is fsck'ing after a panic, I use a collegue's computer on which I have
a shell to build the new kernel.  Everything works quite well, except
that when I install the kernel, install(8) will stop on chown(2) :

%%%
  propane:Z6PO$ make KERNEL=kernel.test DESTDIR=$HOME/export  install
  [...]
  mkdir -p /home/tataz/export/boot/kernel.test
  install -p -m 555 -o root -g wheel kernel /home/tataz/export/boot/kernel.test
  install: /home/tataz/export/boot/kernel.test/kernel: chown/chgrp: Operation not permitted
  *** Error code 71

  Stop in /usr/home/tataz/FreeBSD/CURRENT/src/sys/i386/compile/Z6PO.
%%%

I thought about adding a flag such as NO_INSTALLCHOWN in both
kern.post.mk and kmod.mk.  What do you think of the idea ?

I saw there are KMODOWN and KMODGRP in kmod.mk, but it seems there is
no similar facility in kern.post.mk.  Maybe it would be worth having
KERNOWN and KERNGRP as well.

I can submit a patch if asked.

Regards,
--