Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 20:32:13 +0100 (MET)
From:      Helge Oldach <helge.oldach@atosorigin.com>
To:        chris@netmonger.net (Christopher Masto)
Cc:        rizzo@aciri.org, john_m_cooper@yahoo.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem building smbfs module, any hint ?

Christopher Masto:
>On Fri, 2001-11-09 at 12:32, Helge Oldach wrote:
>> Actually for 4.4-STABLE is is only a port, installing just smbutil. The
>> Makefile (or pkg-plist) is slightly broken: The kernel module should not
>> be deinstalled (it isn't installed by the port either). See ports/31635.
>
>Don't you need the port to get mount_smbfs?  I don't understand why that
>is missing from the base system if all the other parts are there.  Or
>maybe my -stable isn't new enough.

Yes, you're right. The files installed are smbutil, mount_smbfs, and
libsmb.a, plus some configuration and manual files. Oh, and /dev/nsmb0
of course. Well, it's not really a clean separation...

Strange however is that smbfs.ko is part of -STABLE but the GENERIC
kernel does not contain the options necessary to use it. Should be fixed
as well.

Helge