Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:45:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   traceroute: sendto: No buffer space available

I have a pentium box running 3.1-release, with 64 MB of ram.

All it does is route packets between a router and a customer's network.

One of the customer's boxes has been under DOS attack (SYN Flood, I
think), and this causes our Freebsd box to behave strangely. Traffic will
pass through the box to anyplace except the router.

We can traceroute to anyplace locally from the BSD box, except the router.
When we try to hit the router, we get:

$ traceroute 208.x.x.65
traceroute to 208.x.x.65 (208.x.x.65), 30 hops max, 40 byte
traceroute: sendto: No buffer space available
 1 traceroute: wrote 208.x.x.65 40 chars, ret=-1
 *traceroute: sendto: No buffer space available
traceroute: wrote 208.x.x.65 40 chars, ret=-1

Is there a kernel tweak I can make to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Network Administrator               Fax 301-620-9634
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net