Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:14:09 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Andy Watts <g7mjv@btinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie internet connection question

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 07:25:31PM +0000, Andy Watts wrote:
> l downloaded FreeBSD 6.3 the other day out of curiosity..
>=20
> The installation started ok but it all went wrong when it came to=20
> connecting to the internet through my wired router
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-post.ht=
ml

You're reading the handbook. That's a very good start. :-)
=20
> l'm really not sure what entries to put in fig 2-29 that will allow my=20
> connection.

Most routers will have a DHCP server running to hand out addresses and such.

When it asks 'Do you want to try DHCP configuration of the interface?'
Just say 'yes'.

Use the IP address of your router as the gateway address.

> My router's address is 192.168.1.1 and running ifconfig on my linux machi=
ne=20
> gives the following:

> Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

If you don't know what network hardware you have, use alt-F4 to switch
to a shell and give the command 'dmesg | grep Ethernet'. On my machine
this gives;

rl0: Ethernet address: 00:1e:23:2f:1b:g1

indicating that I have hardware using the rl(4) driver.

Roland
--=20

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS--