Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 09:33:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        bbs@bakkers-bs.com (Bakkers Business Solutions SIA)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP!!!

> Dir Sir/Madam,
> I was trying to download a very important file from our bookkeeping software
> server (runing on FREEBSD) to my FTP server and I instead of command PUT
> used GET, than I understood that it was wrong I tryed the same with PUT. I
> think I spoiled that file. IS IT POSSIBLE TO UNDO THAT ACTION???

Is there any chance you have a backup that contains the original file?
Since you have apparently overwritten the original one, it is very
unlikely there is any way to recover it except from a backup.
There aren't any undo commands for overwriting a file.  There are
some versions of ftp that ask for a confirmation before overwriting,
but it sounds like you are well past that stage.

You might check it manually (such as with an editor [vi]) just to
make sure it is nuked, but I woudl guess it is.
////jerry