Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 00:30:28 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gimp->gtk->glib annoying!

On Wed 2000-09-06 (16:40), Ade Lovett wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 02:35:17PM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > The problem was that I had glib and gtk 1.2.7, isn't there a way
> > for the port to check this and try to upgrade those libs?
>
> Not with the current ports system.  See this mailing list and
> the archives for various solutions, such as the NetBSD approach.
>
> With the way we do things now, unless we bump shared library
> versions on *every* upgrade of such critical ports (and determining
> which ones are critical is a non-trivial, continuing process in
> of itself), there's no real means for handling what you need
> other than suitable uses of pkg_version -v at regular intervals.

This particular inconsistency requires either 'virtual packages' or
'relative versioning' (or possibly both).  The 'relative versioning'
approach would require my port-revision magick.

Both methods will mean having to uninstall the non-functioning port (if
you ever got it installed), and reinstalling a newer version.  Upgrading
the port automagically would require port-revision, and possibly
relative versioning or virtual packages to keep updates to a minimum.
I'm not totally sure how Debian's tools manage it, but once at least
some of my ports suggestions are accepted, I can recreate most of their
functionality and use their algorithm (since they have easily the best
package management system out there).

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner