Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 16:57:03 -0700
From:      Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scaling Apache?

On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 02:38:57PM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> [000828 14:36] wrote:
> > Alfred Perlstein writes:

> > > "everything", apache needs a process to handle each request
> >
> > Huh? That stopped being true a *long* time ago. Last time I looked at
> > the default config, the number of requests a process would handle was
> > set very low, but that is trivially fixable.
>
> I'm aware of the way that it keeps the processes around for to grab the
> next request, it's still not good enough.  It's the MaxRequestsPerChild
> or something 'tunable'.

There appears to be a terminology conflict here -- Apache uses one
child per connection, which may serve multiple requests.  Zeus uses one
process to handle all connections and requests, as it just puts all the
connections into a select() or poll() (dunno which) and does its own
switching between connections instead of letting the OS do it.

Zeus slaughters Apache in performance.  Apache is more stable if you do
strange things to it.

It's easier to write modules for Apache, since if your module crashes you
lose a child.  In Zeus, if you were to introduce code that runs inside
the server kernel, you'd crash the entire site if something went wrong.

--
tani hosokawa
river styx internet