Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:27:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports question

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

# I just made a new JDK release for FreeBSD, and I need a way to determine
# which 'flavor' of FreeBSD is being used on the build system in order to
# determine which 'flavor' of binary should be used.
#
# I have both an A.OUT version and an ELF version, and I'd like to install
# the most appropriate version on the system.

You can use something like this:

.include <bsd.port.pre.mk>

.if ${PORTOBJFORMAT} == "elf"
DISTFILES+=	jdk1.1.7-elf.tar.gz
.else
DISTFILES+=	jdk1.1.7-aout.tar.gz
.endif

.include <bsd.port.post.mk>

# Second, on ELF systems, if the data of /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 is older
# than March 24, I need to install a new loader.  Or, I need to abort the
# installation since it requires a new runtime loader.

Installing a new loader would be a bad thing to do from the ports
tree.  As for testing the date that is not a perfect solution either.
I'd like to see a quick-n-dirty test prgram written and add that
to the ELF distfiles.  Then you could do something like this:

do-install:
	@${WRKDIR}/dladdr-test || (${CAT} ${PKGDIR}/LOADER-UPGRADE \
	    && exit 1)

'dladdr-test' is a simple little program like this.

#include <dlfcn.h>
int
main()
{
	Dl_info dlinfo;
	if (dladdr((void *)&main, &dlinfo) == 0)
		return 1;
	return 0;
}

This works since older versions of dladdr were guaranteed to return
a zero every time and the new version shouldn't fail in this simple
case.

# Does anyone have any suggestions on how I would go about doing this?
# I'm *NOT* a ports person, nor have I made any port from scratch, so be
# gentle with me. :) :)
#
#
# Nate