Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:36:45 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: using dovecot, where is ICOMING mail stored?

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 01:03:43PM +0000, Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 05:23:34PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody know about this obscure stuff?

	[[ ... ]]

> If you haven't changed the dovecot config file, look in it for the
> mail_location setting. For example, mine is set to:
>
>   mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
>
> From what you say above, about backups of ~/Maildir, I would expect you to
> find something very similar.
>
> If that's not what you find, try looking in the location it does point to.
> If you still have no luck, look at your SMTP server's config and figure out
> how it handles local deliveries. For example, my exim install is set up to
> send messages for local delivery through a pipe to the maildrop program,
> which in turn delivers them to folders under my ~/Maildir according to my
> filtering rules.

	By SMTP ["Simple"??] I'm guessing you are referring to my
	sendmail.  Yes?/no?  I've always considered sendmail as a
	transport agent, period.  I have poked around in /etc/mail and
	wasn't sure what to look for.  I can grep -r and find the
	dovecot config.  I haven't touched it.

	I did try pointing mutt -f at my saved backup
	/usr/tmp/.../Maildir.  Nothing.  My copies of saved mail are
	there, but not what was in the unread queue.  I was testing out
	mutt from a laptop and that has to have been when I
	accidentially deleted stuff.  Too bad there isn't a page on
	"howto set up a mailserver" ... for dimwits

	gary

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org