Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 08:22:21 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "connection refused"

On Feb 02, 1997 at 07:46:13AM, Darren Reed wrote:
> In some mail from John-Mark Gurney, sie said:
> > > Ok. Then recvmsg() should be used without (instead of) accept()?
> >
> > it seems that accept() does do what you want.....  directly from the
> > accept() man page:
> > For certain protocols which require an explicit confirmation, such as ISO
> > or DATAKIT, accept() can be thought of as merely dequeueing the next con-
> > nection request and not implying confirmation.  Confirmation can be im-
> > plied by a normal read or write on the new file descriptor, and rejection
> > can be implied by closing the new socket.

Yes, that's how I read it too, the first time. :)

> > it seems you can accept() a conntection... verify were it is coming from
> > and then close and it will be rejected...  as it turns out this isn't
> > true...  (I just wrote a test program to test it)...

As did I, and hence my question.

> What about if the socket accept() is using is non-blocking ?

FWIW, the behaviour is the same and results in "connection closed
by remote host" rather than "connection refused" as I would have
expected.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/