Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2018 00:47:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      <byuu@tutanota.com>
To:        Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org>, Freebsd Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I'd like to submit a kernel patch for a new sysctl to use EFI instead of ACPI for poweroff + reboot

I made an account on reviews.freebsd.org, but it won't allow me to submit a=
 patch via the website.

Tutorials online want me to install a bunch of software, install certificat=
es, configure Git, and ... I'm very sorry, but I don't have the patience ju=
st for a quick patch. No hard feelings if you can't use it like this.

As far as the bug not occurring on your X399 ... very interesting. Are you =
using a Threadripper as well? This user was having the same issue on the X3=
99 as I am on my X399M: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/amd-th=
readripper-build.70194/#post-485064 <https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?t=
hreads/amd-threadripper-build.70194/#post-485064>

I've exhausted all latest version BIOS settings, toggled lots of sysctl tun=
ables, etc to no avail. Not a big deal really, just had nothing better to w=
ork on while waiting for 12-RELEASE ^-^;

Dec 11, 2018, 6:31 AM by cem@freebsd.org:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:06 AM <> byuu@tutanota.com <mailto:byuu@tutanot=
a.com>> > wrote:

>> Thank you, this information helped a lot!
>>

> I am glad to hear it.
>
>> I am not sure where I should submit my patch to ... I'll post it here if=
 that's okay. If it needs to go somewhere else, please provide instructions=
 or if you don't mind ... submit it on my behalf ^^;

> I'll second Jason's request =E2=80=94 please go ahead and submit a diff t=
> Phabricator (reviews.freebsd.org), if you don't mind.
>
>> This patch has been created against -CURRENT, and has been tested succes=
sfully on 12.0-RC3. It allows me to power off my ASRock X399M (mATX) mother=
board, and should also work for ASRock X399 (ATX) users who have reported t=
he same problem of ACPI hanging during shutdown. Hopefully it will be usefu=
l to other users in the future who experience ACPI shutdown issues as a fal=
lback option.

> Hm, I don't recall my ASRock X399 board having issues shutting down with =
ACPI.