Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:42:25 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: passing arguments to *_DEPENDS

--xgyAXRrhYN0wYx8y

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 02:21:46PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com> wrote:
>=20
> > An alternate, and also compatible view is to run a sweep through the po=
rts
> > tree, ensure that all such optional stuff is controlled by a WITH_* or
> > WITHOUT_* variable (much needed standardization anyway), and then have
> > +CONTENTS modified with a new @options:[<opt1[=3Dval1],[opt2=3D...]] fi=
eld.
>=20
> > I believe we need to rethink the concept of ports either being thin (mi=
nimal
> > number of dependencies) or thick (maximal dependencies), and work on a
> > generic optional-dependency system that individual ports may use.
>=20
> OpenBSD's FLAVOR system, in short.

That would rule. I've been meaning to look at porting OpenBSDs bsd.port.mk
for quite some time but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Besides I
suspect it will be very difficult. Anyone else been having a look at it?

OpenBSD also has the IMHO pretty cool concept of separating package
building from installing; that is, a port is just used to make a package
instead of making the package from installed bits. That would also be
a very nice feature to have.

--Stijn

--=20
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.