Date:      Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:25:14 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Warren <shinjii@virusinfo.rdksupportinc.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade in Xfree86 pkg failed

On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 09:14:26AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>   Why are you building xfree86?  FreeBSD 5.4 uses Xorg.  It's
> just about the same code just different licensing.  I don't think the
> FreeBSD core is bothering to keep the xfree86 port working on FreeBSD 5.X
> just FreeBSD 4.11

I'm sorry, but this is wrong on almost all counts.  The default X
server that is installed by the base for 5.4 is indeed xorg, but
both XFree and xorg are being actively maintained.  A great deal of
work goes into keeping both X servers working on the active source
branches.

As for the licensing meta-fiasco, see the FAQ or use Google to find
out more; this has been hashed and re-hashed and re-re-hashed here,
and in other venues, many times.

mcl