Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:18:47 +0100 (BST)
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting systems with lots of memory

Jan B. Koum  writes:
> Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> wrote:
> >
> > Excellent! Thanks for the quick reply. Will /boot/loader still be able
> > to boot old kernels after this patch? (I'm reluctant to completely
> > hose the machine...)
>
> AFAIK it should. Not sure myself to be honest :(

Well, I took the plunge and booted with the new loader and the box
came back fine, so I'm less worried about booting old kernels.
Tomorrow we try it with 3GB of RAM :-)

> > Also, w.r.t. the serial console problems, can I set the baud rate
> > early in the boot sequence, and if so, how? The console works once
> > getty puts up a login prompt but not before then, and I get a whole
> > lot of garbage that I guess is baud barf (I wouldn't know for sure --
> > too much of a newbie).
>
> Don't know. I don't use serial console. Did you check
> http://www.freebsd.org/~msmith/FTL/bootstrap.txt for any info?

I did, yes. Most of that is now in the loader(8) manual. I tried
changing /boot.config to contain "/boot/loader -h" which improved
matters. There's still some garbage but it's fine after ">> FreeBSD
BOOT @ 0x10000: 634/15360 k of memory, serial console". We suspect a
BIOS that's being too damn clever for its own good.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  fanf@demon.net  dot@dotat.at