Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:31:22 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New RPM port

Hi,

I've submitted a PR for a new port of RPM version 2.5.5 (PR 10137). The point
is that I'm not quite happy about it and I want your opinion (relax, you
don't have to *do* anything :-)

Background:

When you want to install packages under /compat/linux with the current RPM
port in such a way that the Red Hat RPM version (native Linux) can work with
it, you'll need the following options when running RPM:
	--ignoreos		The package is for Linux, RPM runs on FreeBSD; don't complain,
	--root /compat/linux	Tell RPM that we want any processing cdroot'ed here,
	--dbpath /var/lib/rpm	The RPM port uses /var/local/lib/rpm for its database.

The new port uses /var/lib/rpm by default and, obviously, differs from the
current port. I think it's an incomplete or an "you-almost-made-it" solution.
I'll give you 3 options and hope you want to give me your opinions (btw,
there isn't anything you can win :-)

1. Keep the new port as it is and stop whining,

2. Make the new port behave as the current port, ie, make dbpath default to
/var/local/lib/rpm,

3. Patch up RPM so that the above mentioned options (--ignoreos, --root and
--dbpath) don't need to be specified. In other words make the new RPM port
behave as the Linux version.

marcel

ps: Yes, this has something to do with the new linux port :-)