Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 18:18:41 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Jamie Clark <jamie@erinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: Opinions on which Tape Drive to Buy?

Jamie Clark writes:

> I called Bason Computer.  They said that the Conner 4326 for sale is a bare
> drive.  I have an Adaptec AHA-2940UW PCI card.  Could you provide specifications
> on what cable to connect the two together?  I know that the tape drive is single
> ended, but I didn't see any SCSI cable described as single ended at
> http://www.cdw.com/  I would appreciate some guidance in this selection.

When ordering the drive, you might tell Bason you need an internal SCSI
cable for it.

You didn't say if you have any other SCSI devices, one would assume so
if you already have a high end SCSI card. If you have a wide internal
SCSI cable with a spare connector which stretches to the bay you would
install the tape drive then ASA Computers http://www.asacomputers.com
(and others I'm sure) sell wide to narrow female to female connectors
for about $13 each. In this situation your Adaptec card should be
terminated and the last wide HD terminated. The middle tape drive should
not be terminated. This means you will remove 2 or 3 resistor SIPs from
the 4326. (newer models had termination jumper selectable).

Another solution which prevents you from being able to use your external
SCSI connector is to use a narrow 50-pin internal SCSI cable for the
tape drive. About $3 to $10. In this case you terminate the tape drive
and configure the Adaptec to terminate only the extra wide bits on the
SCSI bus. The 2940UW has both narrow and wide connectors inside.