Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 18:01:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ rules!

--0-1709945247-904348882=:8567

Hi,

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Steve Price wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Mark Stosberg wrote:

> # the magic you've got going on with the /usr/ports set up just kicks ass. It's
> # amazing.  I'm not sure if there could be a mechanism to check for latest
> # versions of stuff, that'd be the only improvement I could think to make.
>
> I don't believe anything like this exists yet, but we
> will gladly look at any patches you might have. :)

There are a few scripts running around that do this (outside of sysinstall
and the built-in ports stuff.  I've attached one - I am sorry but I can't
remember the author.

Basically it scans the INDEX file and compares it to the ports tree.  Note
if you don't CVSup the ports tree this will never do anything.  :-)

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist,
 as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."
					 -   Popular Science, 1891

--0-1709945247-904348882=:8567
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--0-1709945247-904348882=:8567--