Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 2009 20:38:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <portsuser@larseighner.com>
To:        "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Erich Dollansky <erich@apsara.com.sg>
Subject:   Re: Ports completely and permanently hosed

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, b. f. wrote:

>> If this would be synchronised with the main FreeBSD releases, it
>> would have a minor effect on users.
>
> No one is _forcing_ you to update anything, or even to use ports at
> all.

Believe me, if I can get back to my printer, camera, and mp3 player
all working (which last occurred about 6.2 or so) I'll never upgrade
again.  Of course it is kind of lonely when your release is orphaned,
which happens in the blink of an eye, but if the kernel supports all the
hardware, I'm pretty sure I can install any apps that I suddenly decide I
have to have myself.

It's hard to resist the sales pitch (really, USB will work again on
8.0, we promise! [but we are going to trash your modem driver]) ---
sooner or later one has to wise up.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html