Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:20:54 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@kuzbass.ru>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SOLVED: 4.7-STABLE on HP Omnibook 5000C: /etc/rc does not start

Eugene Grosbein wrote:

> I've got HP Omnibook 5000C notebook with Pentium90/16Mb RAM
> and trying to install FreeBSD. I have no pccards so plan to
> make bootable floppy, establish PPP over serial with my desctop
> running FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE on Celeron-900 and in run installworld
> over NFS. I did that many times with desktop machines without a problem.
>
> So I've build custom PicoBSD and tried to boot it. Pico uses stock init(8),
> not oinit. Kernel boots fine, detects all devices and tries to run /sbin/init
> and hangs. The same floppy boots to multiuser on my Celeron-900E.
> I've MAXMEM="(16*1024)" in Pico's kernel so it must be not memory problem.
> Btw, the notebook runs Windows 95 currently and successfully establishes
> ether PPP or SLIP connection with my desktop.

The problem was that I used i686-optimized system to build PicoBSD for i586.
I turned off all optimizations for building of Pico so kernel
and object files for crunched binary were built right. Kernel was linked
OK but crunched binary was linked using system /usr/lib that is optimized
for i686 here. So kernel booted normally and init died at once.

I already have a world built for i586 so I just installed it into
new direcory on my i686 system, chrooted into that directory and made
new floppy there. And it boots as expected now.

So, it would be nice to have an opportunity to cross-compile PicoBSD
without having to rebuilt a whole world just to get 10 libraries.

Eugene Grosbein