Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 09:59:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tasos Drosopoulos <drosos@abrdr.dreo.dnd.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Request installation help

Hello FreeBSD users,

My current setup:
          Pentium 90 PC, 128MB RAM
          3 hard drives: 1st IDE (400MB) for DOS
                         2nd EIDE (1.2GB) made a 900 MB FreeBSD partition
                         3rd SCSI (4.3GB) devoted to Slackware 3 / Linux
	  3Com3 ethernet card
	  Linux LILO on the MBR

I've been happily using Linux or the past 2 yrs. A couple of weeks ago
I got my SCSI hard drive and now have space to try out FreeBSD. I
downloaded the minimum requirements (disks and BIN) for the March 4
2.1.0-RELEASE, to try it out. At first I tried to make a partition on the
SCSI drive, but apparently Slackware wanted the > 1GB DOS option enabled
on the Buslogic 956C controller card that I have, while FreeBSD doesn't.
Anyway, I moved all my Slackware stuff on the SCSI drive, made a FreeBSD
partition on my second EIDE drive and installed (I think succesfully) the
minimal distribution. I say I think, because I don't seem to be able to
boot into it!!

My questions:

1. I assume from a response to a previous question that I don't need a
   boot floppy. However, the installation bootdisk seems to boot directly
   with the default installation kernel. Entering a ? as fast as I can at
   the boot prompt to see what, if anything, I should input doesn't seem to
   work. What should I input anyway if FreeBSD is on my second hard drive?

2. OK, I went several times through the Novice installation procedure and
   asked for installing the default boot manager. From what I understand
   I should get a prompt when booting to choose the OS I want. This
   doesn't happen. LILO is still there. Do I have to explicitly take it
   out? Is it not overwritten?

3. What I want, is to be able to boot DOS, FreeBSD or Linux from a boot
   manager, either LILO or the FreeBSD one. Does anyone have such a setup
   and can offer me some advice?

4. Finally, from the installation procedure, I should be able to set up
   an ethernet connection to install the rest of the FreeBSD packages ( I
   think). I install the BIN now from my DOS partition. The options I get
   are for serial and parallel port connections. My 3com3 ethernet card
   doesn't seem to be recognized. Am I missing any network packages? Or do I
   have to use the DOS partition for everything?

Come on guys. Help me out here!

Thanks is advance.

*      Anastasios (Tasos) Drosopoulos                    *
*      phone: (613) 998-2859  /  FAX: (613) 990-8906     *
*      email: Tasos.Drosopoulos@dreo.dnd.ca              *
*      URL : http://www.dreo.dnd.ca                      *