Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 15:45:14 -0500
From:      Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Objective C rules for /usr/share/mk

On Mon, Mar 30, 1998 at 03:06:51PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Brian, you might not be aware that the make utility has compiled into it
> to read the startup file /usr/share/mk/sys.mk, but you're really not
> supposed to modify that.  sys.mk sources in /etc/make.conf, and that's
> (/etc/make.conf) where local user modifications are expected to go.

That explains a lot of the behaviour I was seeing (I suppose I should
have completely read the make man page before diving in). Thanks.

> That's probably the source of some of the things you mentioned, that you
> supposed were compiled in.  Take a look at /etc/make.conf, and customize
> to your hearts' content, but please leave sys.mk entirely alone
> (especially if you ever intend to compile the FreeBSD source tree).

I'm aware of the problems with modifying stuff in /usr/share/mk. What
I'd like to see is having Objective C progs be compilable without
/etc/make.conf mucking (as C++ does).

Assuming I send-pr a good set of patches (the ones I've sent don't cut
it), would they be commited, or should I not bother?

-bjc