Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 00:17:22 -0700
From:      "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@Boolean.Net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SNAP9802 CDROM: cannot mount root

I finally found the time to install with -current
on my SMP Micron Powerdigm (a major upgrade for
my dying Gw2k DX2/66 VLB -current box).  However,
I ran into a few problems loading the Feb. 98 WC
CDROM (I intend to CVSup to -current from this SNAP).
I provide basic configuration info below, I'll
followup with dmesg, mptable and kernel config info.

I installed by booting the CDROM and the kernel
hung immediately after detecting vx0 (3COM 3C905).
Guessing, I disabled "PnP Operating System" in
the BIOS.  This allowed CDROM boot to complete.
I'll deal with enabling PnP OS support later
(NT4 AWE64 driver requires this to be enabled).

Anyways, using sysinstall I allocated the entire
second SCSI drive (target 1) to FreeBSD (using a
compatibility slice).  Every thing went fine until
went to boot (on target 1) the newly installed system.

First, BootEasy claimed:
	F1 - BSD
	F5 - Other Disk

Strange.  What's Other Disk?  sd0s0 is NT (NTFS),
sd0s1 is FAT16.  F5 must be the Jaz drive on target 4.

Ignoring this, I pressed F1 and the boot prompt
arrived and the default boot command loaded the kernel
fine.  But then:
	changing root device to sd0a
	error 22: panic: cannot mount root (2)

Well, guess I'll have to tell the kernel where root
is...  so I reboot with -va....

But instead of the kernel asking, I got:
	changing root device to sd0a
	sd0s1: type 7, start 63, end 8385929, size 8385869 : OK
	sd0s2: type 5, start 8385930, end = 8916074, size 530145 : OK
	sd0s3: type 6, start 8385993, end = 8916074, size 530082 : OK
	error 22: panic: cannot mount root (2)

Yeap, no FreeBSD there.

I search the archives and found a note stating that -a
was broken for kernels with both MFS and swapgeneric.
I presume sysinstall installed such a kernel.   Curious,
I tried an older -current SNAP (971006), but got the
same basic error.

No problem.  I just retarget the drives temporarily,
install the 9802 SNAP, boot on sd0, build a kernel a
"root on sd1" config line (and no MFS), MAKEDEV sd1s1a,
and patch fstab.  I'll even keep the kernel UP for now.
Then I'll just retarget back and reboot.

Well, I got the exact same behavior.  boot -a doesn't ask
and the kernel cannot mount root.

Anyways, I figure I'll retarget FreeBSD drive back to
target 0, CVSup to -current, and try this again.

Does anyone have any comments and/or suggestions?

Thanks, Kurt

Basic Configuration Info - 	Micron Powerdigm Pro
	Micron Samarai Motherboard
		Dual PII-300
		Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 5.12
			PnP,MP1.4 enabled
	Adaptec (integrated) 2940UW BIOS 1.32 w/
		IBM 4.5G UW (NT)
		Seagate 9G UW (FreeBSD)
		Iomega Jaz, Iomega Zip, CDROM
	3COM 3C905 Fast Etherlink XL
	AWE64 PnP Sound
	USR PnP x2 Modem
	Diamond GL1000 Pro graphics
	Integrated USB (disabled), APM (disabled)