Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:38:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Andrew Gugalo <agugalo@orion.it.luc.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   2.1.5, 2.1.6 crash install

I've been trying to install FreeBSD on two different PCs since version 1,
CDROM Dec. 1993, to no avail. At the same time I have used many versions
of Linux on the same two machines, so I suspect that my ignorance is not
the only problem.
I have a Pentium Gateway with hardware that claims to be supported by
FreeBSD, except for IDE CDROM, so I try to install from a DOS partition.
Booting from the installation boot disk I eliminated all the drivers for
devices I don't have and needed to correct only the parameters for my SMC
ethernet card, which I don't think is important for installation anyway.
I created a 600M primary DOS partition and copied all the files from CDROM
there. The installation process went partially through but stopped at the
following screen:
                   [Progress]
	Extracting slib into /usr/src
		directory...

		25%

	290816 bytes read from slib dist,
	chunk 2 of 8@3.1 KB/sec

I tried the whole thing again and exactly the same thing happened again.
I was trying to install the 207 Meg I think developers version.
In the past I experienced crashes during installation of early SLS Linux
distributions and later while trying to install Red Hat Linux Picasso
version. In both cases it turned out not to be an operator error, but
faulty distribution. They were however crashing at random times during
attempted installation. FreeBSD crashed twice at exactly the same screen!
FreeBSD detected the same parameters of my 1.6G Western Digital IDE HD
as are listed on the drive itself: 3148 cyl, 16 heads, 63 sectors.
I would appreciated any clues on what might be causing this behaviour.