Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:45:14 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, jak@cetlink.net, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tickadj -t not changing tick

> In message <199807212010.VAA20743@awfulhak.org>, Brian Somers writes:
> >[Follow-up-to pointed at freebsd-mobile]

> It seems to me that this gadget has something which is hosed or at least
> doesn't react as we'd expect it to.
>
> Without access to the machine it is all but impossible for me to isolate
> the problem, but if you're not afraid to look at some weird C code,
> the right place to look is in sys/i386/isa/clock.c, startrtclock() and
> thereabout.
>
> What chipset does this machine use ? a compaq invention ? if so they
> may have done something stupid to the timers in the 8254.

I've taken the machine back to the shop - The MediaGX cpu (which I
previously knew nothing about) scared me... the lengths people go to
so that they can produce something a few $$$s cheaper...

I've replaced it with a machine w/ an Intel chip (FOOF & all).
Interestingly enough, the PCIC probes as a VLSI 82C146 on this
machine too, and my 3c589c seems to be misbehaving in the same
way (IRQs don't seem to work) - but I can see psm0, so it just
seems to be an interrupt thing.

Of course I'm still on 2.2.6-release (no timers mentioned at boot
time, and no sig 24s).  I'll try to cvsup to -current from my other
machine over a ppp link if I can't get the NIC to respond tonight.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;