Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:44:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Ed Hall <edhall@weirdnoise.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: entropy reseeding is totally broken

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Ed Hall wrote:

> How about skipping the "long, annoying failover process" altogether and
> simply logging to the console that the entropy reseeding process was
> incomplete?  Forcing an indeterminate delay to gather entropy is more
> than a little paternalistic.

	The problem is, it's going to block somewhere. If we don't
"block" while creating the entropy, the first thing that needs random bits
is going to block for real because /dev/random isn't going to have
anything to feed it.

	We must come up with an entropy reseeding mechanism that has a
reasonably high degree of success for a reasonably high number of cases.

Doug