Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 99 18:12:14 -0800
From:      Dennis Glatting <dennis.glatting@software-munitions.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow seq. write on Seagate ST36530N

> > Just to throw my voice in, I get crappy SCSI performance on my
> > three SCSI card Dell. I don't understand why.
>
> Umm, you're going to have to be a little more specific than that.
>
> You do have one of those slow Western Digital drives, which
> could cause some problems.

The WD drive is on its own controller. The ST410800W is on its own
controller. The two ST43400Ns are together on the third
controller.

On the ST410800W I am getting, according to iozone:

> btw# iozone 1024 8192 /ExternalDisk/junk
> Writing the 1024 Megabyte file, '/ExternalDisk/junk'...299.609375 seconds
> Reading the file...178.609375 seconds
>
> IOZONE performance measurements:
>         3583805 bytes/second for writing the file
>         6011676 bytes/second for reading the file

Since this is a 16 bit device with 10 MHz transfer rate I expect
better, or should I not? According to the disk specs the average
internal transfer rate is 7.2 MB/sec, 20 MB/sec external
burst.

The following is an examination of the device's mode pages. I'm
currently looking at each variable and their meaning, though I
am not a SCSI guru.